Proper use of external pest control products



Pet owners know this well: sunny days bring their share of parasites. Although external parasiticides are a known answer to this problem,National Agency for Food, Environment and Safety at Work (ANSES) warns of the abuse that causes accidents every year that can lead to the death of an animal treated by mistake.

Dog medications permethrin are toxic to cats

Fleas, ticks, sand flies (leishmaniasis vectors in dogs) … Animals can be infected by many parasites. To prevent or even treat cats and dogs, external antiparasitics – known pipettes – are useful. But they are not without risk if they are abused. “Marketing authorizations for veterinary medicinal products are issued for a specific animal species, warns ANSES. It is therefore important to respect the species for which each veterinary medicinal product is intended.Therefore, permethrin-based products intended for dogs should not be applied to cats. The latter may suffer from neurological disorders (tremor, convulsions, ataxia, anxiety, coma) that are sometimes associated with digestive signs. A few drops. A pipette can sometimes be enough to cause serious symptoms. According to ANSES, between January 2019 and December 2020, the agency recorded 179 accident reports. “67 were found to be serious, and five cats died after using the antiparasitic drug for dogs“, he emphasizes. In case of accidental exposure of the cat to permethrin, it is necessary to wash it with lukewarm water and soap or dishwashing liquid and contact a veterinarian to make sure that the animal is no longer in danger.”To prevent cats from accidentally exposing the product to homes where several animal species are present, treated dogs should be kept away from cats until the pest treatment site is dry and make sure that cats cannot lick dogs where the product has been applied.“, recalls ANSES.

Rabbit and fipronil: danger!

Pest control agents containing fipronil are toxic to rabbits. These medicines for cats and dogs make up almost one third of the reports of side effects in rabbits. “From January 2013 to December 2020, ANSES recorded 137 reports of adverse reactions in rabbits following fipronil-based antiparasitic treatments, 66 were considered serious and 33 deaths were identified.“, reports agency. Poisoned lagomorphs suffer from loss of appetite, seizures, digestive disorders and therefore may die. If the rabbit has come in contact with fipronil (and even if there are no symptoms), it should be washed with warm water and soap (or soap) and a veterinarian should be contacted. If the epidemic is home to more than one species, then it is necessary to isolate the rabbit from the cat or dog immediately after application of the product.

In December 2020National Food Safety Agency warned owners against using fake pest protection collars sold online. From China and sold on the Wish website, these items, presented as Seresto necklaces (Bayer brand), “should fight ticks and fleas, do not comply with applicable regulations and do not contain active substances that should containUpon receipt, the necklaces sold at a ridiculous price did not look like visual items presented on the Wish website, according to the agency. In addition, no precautions for use, indication of the target species, or even the name of the product or manufacturer were indicated on the product. “Analyzes of the necklaces showed that these necklaces did not contain the active substances that are normally found in the necklaces of Seresto, flumethrin and imidacloprid.“, notes ANSES. At best, these collars are ineffective, and at worst dangerous!



Source link