Low calorie diets are the least effective when it comes to losing weight

Low calorie diets are the least effective when it comes to losing weight


To be successful in our goal, experts recommend a varied diet that is not too strict and with gradual weight loss.

Friday, January 19, 2018, 2:06 PM

Low calorie diets with reduced food intake are the least effective because the body responds to them by reducing costs. In addition, even if it causes you to lose weight in the beginning, it is more difficult in the medium and long term, according to nutritionists from the hospitals of Quirónsalud in Murcia, Valencia and Torrevieja.

After the Christmas holidays, many patients consider a miraculous diet, consuming detoxification weight loss products, or exercising at the gym to burn calories to exhaustion. As Carolina Pérez, a nutritionist at the Quirónsalud Hospitals in Torrevieja and Murcia, explains, “the main risks of so-called miracle diets stem from the excessive rate at which we lose weight. They drastically reduce calorie intake and create nutritional imbalances. This apparent success in the beginning is due not only to a reduction in fat, but also to a loss of muscle mass, one of the most metabolically active body tissues, which partly explains this failure in the medium and long term. ”

As advised by nutritionist Rocío Práxedes of the Obesity Department of Quirónsalud Hospital in Valencia, in order for the diet to be effective, it must be mildly hypocaloric: “In this way we can avoid metabolic adaptations that prevent our patient from losing weight; and simply because if there is hunger, there is a risk of violating dietary guidelines and stopping treatment. ”

Recommended instructions

In order for the diet to be effective, experts recommend following the following guidelines:

· Complete and varied diet, ie covering 100% of the patient’s nutritional requirements and including all basic food groups.

· That it is not too strict and adapts to our taste, because if not, it will be very easy for us to overcome it and eventually eat more than necessary or not touch.

· Gradual weight loss; losing more than a pound a week will be counterproductive. The optimal loss of diet is 500 g – 700 g / week.

· Realistic. Suggest dietary changes that are progressive and weight loss goals that are achievable.

· Do not skip any meals. Usually, diets consist of five meals a day, which must be followed in order to maintain a constant blood glucose level and to avoid great hunger the next meal.

· Respects the faith and culture of each person.

When to go to surgery

When we talk about body mass indices higher than 35, the treatment of nutritional diets together with the subsequent monitoring of a professional multidisciplinary team may not be enough, in which case obesity surgery or bariatric surgery may be used. It should always be the specialist who will determine the most effective and safest treatment for each case in person.

The development of minimally invasive operations has revolutionized the world of modern surgery, including bariatric surgery, in the last decade. “Comprehensive treatment of patients with overweight, obesity and type 2 diabetes guarantees the best results. In addition, the risks of surgery are very low, especially when compared to pathologies derived from this disease, “says Dr. Pedro Bretcha, coordinator of the Department of Obesity and General Surgery and the Digestive System of Quirónsalud Torrevieja Hospital.

Regarding the benefits of this intervention, “80% of diabetics cease to be diabetic and remit the disease. The remaining 20% ​​will improve significantly, in addition to achieving more than 70% weight loss, even achieving ideal weight if you incorporate healthy habits such as exercise and a healthy and balanced diet. The result is an average prolongation of the lives of obese people in ten years, along with better quality. In short, they live longer and better, ”says Dr. Carlos Sala, obesity unit coordinator and metabolic surgery specialist at Quirónsalud Hospital in Valencia. Despite its advantages, only 5% of obese Spaniards will undergo this intervention due to a lack of information or lack of access to these units.



Source link